Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Classical Conversations - Prescripts - A Review





Handwriting was always a standard subject as I recall. But more and more, as I talk with friends and acquaintances, it seems that handwriting is often an afterthought. I've even heard that some schools are choosing not to teach it anymore. How very sad. I don't want my children to rely on the computer to type out letters, thank you notes, and such. I want them to have handwriting skills. So, I was truly thrilled to be selected to review  Prescripts Cursive Words and Drawing by a company that I am really liking, Classical Conversations .


I was interested in this book for a variety of reasons. The foremost was the fact that I was looking for a handwriting book to provide much needed practice for my daughters. The next aspect that stood out to me was the biblical content. I love that my girls are reading, copying, and rewriting the Word of God. This workbook also includes mini drawing lessons throughout.  I appreciate the extra fine motor practice, but even more than that, I knew that my art loving daughters would enjoy these often whimsical exercises.

In fact, it didn't take me long at all to decide that this was the handwriting book that I've been waiting for. I had no sooner flipped through the pages to get a feel for the lessons, when I was online ordering another copy so both of my daughters would be able to give this a go. That was a very good decision. They had barely completed the first few lessons when they both proclaimed what a wonderful book this is, and "how fun handwriting is now!" Woohoo! They like the bible verses, and my youngest in particular often likes to comment when a featured Scripture only includes part of the verse. She will then quote it in its entirety.

And the drawing lessons are just fun for the girls. They love to doodle, and this allows just that. There are pages where they simply make lines, angles, curves, or dots. As you make your way through, they begin drawing simple animals, trees, and combinations of shapes. There are plenty of pages for free drawing too. It's funny to me that something like adding an art lesson to the subject of handwriting has just made it so appealing for them. I won't analyze it, I'm just pleased. These are kids who have found cursive tedious and boring, and this week my oldest remarked that she had no problem doing schoolwork if it was this particular handwriting book. What more could I ask for?


 
 
 
 

The book is divided up into three parts.

Part 1 - Letters, Words, and Scriptures

Part 2 - Writing Numbers in Cursive

Part 3 - Tricky Letter Combinations in the First Chapter of James


How to use this book is really up to you, and what works best with your needs. You can do anywhere from a half of a page, up to several pages a day for your student. You can decide what pace fits your childs' ability. If you choose a page a day, this will take you through a school year, or you can increase the load slightly and complete two books in a year. It's all up to you.

We have been working through 2 sometimes 3 pages a day, 5 times a week. I found right away that I was able to take a relaxed approach to this, because the material has successfully motivated them. At this rate, we'll be on to the next book soon :)

This has been a beautiful fit for our family. Handwriting is a subject that requires daily practice, and it's so great to have my children approach it with enthusiasm.
I love the verse that is included in the parent page of this workbook. It's one that I have as my blog header in fact.

Deuteronomy 6:6-9:
And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

You can find all of the information about this book in the links below.





Classical Conversations

Prescripts Cursive Words and Drawing

Ages: 5-10 years old

Price: $12.99

Our crew members reviewed several different levels of these books. To check those out, click to read more reviews from the Schoolhouse Review Crew





No comments:

Post a Comment