Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Family Hope Center - A Review



Most parents take for granted the  health of their children. And we probably don't take much time to ponder the inner workings of the brain. Why would we? I can't say that I've thought too much about the subject. Then I was sent the DVD Understanding Child Brain Development put together by international speakers and Child Brain Developmentalists Matthew and Carol Newell from Family Hope Center .




They take a unique approach to treating a variety of health issues involving brain function, i.e., autism, epilepsy, down syndrome. Rather than lump everyone together and offer a one size fits all answer, they present an individualized plan to help every child reach his/her fullest potential.


Through this roughly 2 hour DVD that was put together from one of their seminars, the Newell's provide an alternative solution for your children's health that doesn't necessarily include drugs. They hope to put parents back in the driver's seat, and help their kids reach their full potential. They do this by teaching some of the brain's characteristics, the how's, what's, why's of various behaviors   and natural ways to possibly treat them.

The DVD is divided into chapters, so you should be able to view the section you like without having to digest such a large amount of information. I was not able to do that with my DVD though, for some reason it would not allow me to watch individual parts, although I had no problem watching it straight through.

I have to be honest and say that this was not a DVD that I probably would have sought out to watch. But, I found it quite interesting pretty quickly, as did my husband when he sat down to watch with me. Matthew Newell is a very good speaker, who possesses a nice blend of knowledge and humor. He was pretty easy to follow.

I do think there were areas that could be improved in future DVD's, however. Right now, the DVD is basically a seminar filmed from the back of the classroom. The sound was not so great, and I had the volume turned all the way up, and it still could have been louder. Also, the visuals on the screen within the classroom were mostly cut off, with only a small part visible. Considering all of the information presented, I would have appreciated being able to see a large clear picture of those pictures.

I do not have children with special needs, so I had no immediate need for specific treatments, although there is just good general health advice that applies to everyone. But, we are foster parents, and I think this would be a good resource for other foster families who have kids in their home who would greatly benefit from the material here. I plan to pass this resource on to those I work with in this area for that very reason.

To sum up, except for the minor, and very fixable issues, I think this is a video well worth taking the time to watch. You can find more information, as well as read what other crew members thought of this, by clicking the links below.




Family Hope Center

Understanding Child Brain Development

Price: $19.00 + shipping

To order the DVD, please call 610-397-1737 or you can order Understanding Child Brain Development from IEW





Click to read more reviews from the Schoolhouse Review Crew




No comments:

Post a Comment