Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Friday, July 27, 2018

Smart Kidz Media - A Crew Review



Some of my best memories involve listening to stories on record (yes I said record, I'm that old, lol), and music. As far as the music went, it didn't matter too much what genre it was, because I enjoyed a wide variety of styles. Country, bluegrass, pop, rock...I enjoyed all of those. That love for music and books has carried over into my adulthood. I'm thrilled to say that both of my daughters have also shared a love for those same things from the time they were very small. It's interesting how my viewpoint on what is acceptable and what is inappropriate has changed from when I was younger. They say that ignorance is bliss, and it is often true, that many adult themes pass over the heads of younger littles, and (fortunately) they miss the message. In cases where the content is not what children should hear (and really if they shouldn't listen, should adults be listening?), wouldn't it be great to have a reliable, safe, resource for parents to use with their kids?



Okay, that's my cue to tell you about the radio station that the girls and I have been listening to, and reviewing this month. Smart Kidz Radio is a live radio station available from Smart Kidz Media. Finally, a radio station created specifically for children ranging from early childhood to early elementary. Available for streaming through your computer or mobile device, this is a resource that may be used any time during the day or night. I love how their website describes it as an "edutainment radio station for kids". Oh, and guess what? It's FREE.

Anyone can sign up and listen to the "hundreds of original... songs and stories that promote positive values". Creating your account is easy. Once you get to the website, follow the prompts, create a password, and start listening. Unlike other online programs that stop the content when you exit, this is a live radio station, so you won't pick up at the same song that you were listening to before signing out of the site.

Regarding the songs, they are fun, whimsical, catchy, silly, and all around upbeat. In between the tracks, there are short positive messages, as in maybe 15 seconds or so, if that long. The overall tone that comes across is mellow, relaxing, peaceful. What this website is not, I'm happy to say, is a version of certain materials that were originally made up of adult songs, but recreated and sung by children. I typically never liked those, because if the message of the original included questionable messages, how would having a child sing it (albeit omitting certain words but still), make it a better choice? 

There's more to this site than songs. There are also podcasts of fairytales and other stories. When you click on the podcast icon, the list of available selections comes up, including the length of each story- I like that! You know which will fit into your space of time. Here is a sampling of titles available:


- Alice in Wonderland
- Cinderella
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears
- Hansel and Gretel
- The Tortoise and the Hare
- Treasure Island
- Aladdin and his Magic Lamp
- The Three Little Pigs
- The Three Musketeers


These stories remind me so much, of the stories I would listen to as a little girl. What a great way to help a child settle in for naptime, a long car ride, or any other time where you need a healthy distraction for your little one. I would have loved to have Smart Kidz Radio for my daughters when they were small. Do your children like to have something to listen to at bedtime? Mine always did, and still do actually. This station would be a great option for kids who may have some anxiety at night. If I was still teaching preschool in a classroom, this would definitely be what I would be playing as the children worked and played. I'm keeping this in mind for those days when I help out with little ones in that type of setting.




My girls are now at and approaching the teen years, so while this would not be on their regular playlist, they freely acknowledged that this is a fantastic option for littles. They also agreed that they would have loved it if they were younger. My oldest may have been embarrassed at the  high degree of enthusiasm that I displayed at this website, ha! Before I'm done here, I want to mention that there is an option to upgrade to an on demand option, if you discover that you love the content, and want access to additional material. For either $3.99 a month, or $39.00 a year, you'll have the radio station, plus access to more songs that feature life skills, good behavior, bedtime songs, relaxation songs, and more. There are also a few more, different stories available in this paid option, including Bible Stories, fairy tales, and "not so scary" tales. Whether you stay with the free membership, or opt for the upgrade, this is a wonderful resource that would be great in your home or classroom. 


Find Smart Kidz Media on social media:
Facebook
Twitter
Read more reviews from Crew members about Smart Kidz Radio by clicking the banner below!
Smart Kidz Radio {Smart Kidz Media Reviews}

No comments:

Post a Comment