Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Thursday, July 12, 2018

Math Essentials - Math Refresher for Adults - A Crew Review



Hi, my name is Laurie, and I don't always like Math. (Hi, Laurie). I know that surely I can't be alone in that attitude, lol. Tell me to read a book, write a paper, learn a different language, study art, and the list goes on... but please don't make me solve for "x". Math has never been my strongest subject, which is probably why I'm not a huge fan. I succeed at this subject up until about the 6th grade level, but when pre- algebra comes in, and the alphabet starts getting involved, well, see ya! 

 The reality is that even as an adult, math is everywhere. If you decide to homeschool, you'll definitely find yourself revisiting the subject again. So, you can moan your way through it, or dive right in, and seek out as much help as you can find. As my girls began their junior high, and now high school years, I decided that I would approach math with a positive attitude, and bring in whatever help we needed, in order to be successful. Most of the resources that I've encountered have been for students, but this time, I've been reviewing Math Refresher for Adults by Math Essentials , and it's all for me!

Why would you want a book like this as an adult? There could be many reasons. Maybe you're a homeschooling parent like me, and you need a refresher of some concepts in order to help your child with their schoolwork, or maybe you're going back to college and need to take a math placement test, or maybe you're applying for a job that requires a math competency test. Or maybe a completely different reason applies to you. Whatever the case, this book is here to help improve your math skills.

Concepts covered in this book include general math, pre-algebra, and algebra. You'll find lessons for:

- Whole numbers
- Fractions
- Decimals
- Percents
- Geometry
- Integers
- Charts and Graphs
- Word Problems

The pre-algebra and algebra section covers everything from sets, integers, fractions, and order of operations, to scientific notation, slope, graphing, and equations. If you need help with math up to this level, you're likely to find it here. 
The table of contents clearly marks what is in the book and where it can be found, making it easy to get to the place where you have the biggest need. As you might expect, the easier concepts like adding and subtracting double and triple digits, multiplication, simple division, are found in the front of the book. There is an answer key in the back.

This is not a curriculum in and of itself, so there are not lengthy lessons in the book, but there are review helps to jar your memory in solving specific problems. Not to worry if you do find yourself in need of a more formal lesson. With this book, they provide access to their website, where you can watch any number of math lessons online, taught by "America's Math Teacher", Richard W. Fisher, all in the privacy of your own home. Here are a couple of photos from a video lesson:





How do you get started? Open the book, look at the Contents, pick the area where you need review, and do it, that's it. Math Refresher for Adults offers tips to help you succeed. For example they suggest getting a notebook and copying the problems into it, and then work them out there, rather than writing in the book. There is a connection that happens when a person writes it out, instead of merely looking at it and filling in the answer. It solidifies the concept in your head. So, that's what I did. My area of need is pre-algebra and up, but I admit that I started with some addition and subtraction to get warmed up. I never thought I would say this,  but I found it mentally relaxing. Then I moved on to other concepts that I don't find difficult, like order of operations, before moving to areas where I can struggle. 






I like Math Essentials . This has been a helpful resource for me this summer, and I going to keep at it for the rest of the summer, as I prepare to get back into math with my daughters this Fall. I'm guessing that I'll be finding myself referring to it often. This would be a great book for anyone to keep on their bookshelf for math emergencies. It's  just practical, and I'm happy to have it. A solid book, two thumbs up.






Find Math Essentials on social media:

Facebook





Read more Crew reviews about Math Essentials by clicking the banner below!

Math Refresher for Adults {Math Essentials}

No comments:

Post a Comment