Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pray it Down

Every time I walk through the doors of our church, I am overwhelmed with a rush of gratitude. I am so thankful to be a member of a church that unashamedly proclaims Jesus as Lord, and is committed to teaching the Bible. This past Sunday was no exception.

The key verse that our Pastor focused on is in Philippians. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. ( vs.6)

The point that stood out to me was, as Pastor put it, "praying down the anxiety". There are many many circumstances in our lives that daily threaten to consume our peace, but God's word clearly commands us NOT to be anxious about....ANYTHING. Umm...that can't be right, can it? I mean, if God knew some of the situations that I'M dealing with...
Nope, sorry, He tells us not to worry about anything. Is it easy? Not always. But He is God, and He knows what we need, and He will meet us and provide for us. It may not be in the way that we had expected or hoped,but He will be there.

I know that for me personally, I have a few "chronic " situations that I continually have to bring before the Lord and "pray down my anxiety".
I can always tell when I have gone to God still determined that He get on with MY agenda, rather than the other way around, because the peace doesn't come. When I do get before Him and humble myself, and allow Him to show me wrong attitudes, my sin, I feel that beautiful peaceful presence. Not deliverance from my circumstances, as much as I would love that.

In fact, tonight, after the kids have gone to bed, I know that I need to get with the Lord again and do some praying down.

No comments:

Post a Comment