Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Thursday, May 2, 2019

12 Gates Publishing - The Hamelin Stoop Series, Books 1 and 2 - A Crew Review



Once upon a time, I was a  little girl who adored fairy tales. I still do actually. One Christmas, I was given a huge (at least it seemed huge in my small hands) book of those fairy tales. These were the original stories, not the cleaned up version that we watch in cartoon format today. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those too, although maybe without the songs that get stuck on a never ending loop in my head. However, they do lack the richness and depth of the original script. From the time that I was an early reader, I loved fantastical books that featured princesses, knights, dragons, and enchanted kingdoms. That affection has carried on through my adulthood, through books from C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and many more. This review that I now present to you will likely remind you of those two authors at times. 12 Gates Publishing graciously provided my family with copies of the first two books in The Hamelin Stoop Series , Hamelin Stoop: The Eagle, The Cave, and the Footbridge (Book 1), and Hamelin Stoop: The Lost Princess and the Jewel of Periluna (Book 2).


Enjoy this fun teaser for the first book:





Book One, Hamelin Stoop: The Eagle, The Cave, and the Footbridge, wastes no time in grabbing your attention. Johnnie and Simon are a young married couple, and they're on the run. We don't know who the pursuers are at first, but it's apparent that they are not only after the newlyweds, but their newborn son as well. Desperate to save their baby, Johnnie leaves the boy in a tomato crate at the orphanage where she lived a s a girl. She hastily begins to write a note explaining her situation, but is unable to finish as she fears her captors are close. The staff find the child, and he settles into life at the orphanage.

In these first pages, I feared that I would be reading yet another story of the neglected/abused child growing up in a child's home. Happily, this was not so, and both my 13 year old daughter and I were pleased to read that Hamelin Stoop, as he comes to be named, experiences love and kindness there. Even so, every good story includes conflict, and as his 8th birthday approaches, Hamelin's world is shaken. His two closest friends at the home, Bryan and Layla,  leave in turns for college, and some beloved staff members depart. In the chaos of the transition, everyone forgets Hamelin's birthday. 

There is so much in the back story, and because this is a novel, I fear that providing too much detail would spoil the plot. Suffice it to say, young Hamelin determines that he will run away, in search of his parents. His adventure leads him to a cave, where he feels drawn to enter by a majestic eagle, who tells him that both of them have been summoned for an important quest. Even as it feels crazy, he follows the eagle, ultimately coming to a footbridge. He is instructed to cross, but the journey across proves to be perilous and frightening, and Hamelin begs to turn back. He is granted his request, but the disapproval and disappointment from the eagle is obvious. Hamelin returns to the children's home, but does not forget his experiences. The next few years find him growing and maturing, and one day, he is given another opportunity, as one more time, he is summoned. This time, he is determined to follow through with the journey. 


Will he find his purpose? What is the quest? Where are his parents? All good questions. Some are answered, some are not, as we're left in suspense on the last page. I would have been upset, but I had Book 2 ready to go! Hamelin Stoop: The Lost Princess and the Jewel of Periluna picked right up from the last, and once again, I was on the edge of my seat. Hamelin is now 11 years old,  and the only thing that he knows, is that he must help his friend sin their quests, in order to fulfill his own. This novel takes us to new fantasy lands, with a whole new collection of mythical creatures. Hamelin bravely accompanies two new companions as they attempt to rescue a kidnapped princess, and a stolen jewel. Will they complete their tasks, or will this be another failed attempt for Hamelin? 


This series is written with the middle school age in mind, and on up for young adults. As an adult, I'll tell you that the age range doesn't have a limit, because all ages can enjoy these stories. They are great because unlike many books that have trite storylines and simple language, this series challenges the reader with intricate plot lines, and generally, a richer reading experience. They did remind me a bit of the Narnia books, and The Lord of the Rings series. I also appreciate that there are no graphic or gory scenes. The story is exciting, but not frightening for younger readers. My 13 year old is of a sensitive nature, and loved these books. The story presents characters that develop courage, wisdom, and put the interests of others before their own. What refreshing concepts in this often self focused world.
The only issue that I had was at the very end of Book One, where a character remarks, "Oh my G--. Neither my daughter nor I liked that. But that is the one and only thing I would change. I would recommend these books to any family. 
I hear that ultimately, this will be a series with 6 or 7 books, yay!! We cannot wait!






Find 12 Gates Publishing on social media:

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

YouTube

Instagram



Read reviews from other Crew members by clicking the banner below!

The Eagle, The Cave, and the Footbridge (Book 1) & The Lost Princess and the Jewel of Periluna (Book 2) {12 Gates Publishing  Reviews}




No comments:

Post a Comment