Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Sunday, March 17, 2013

TouchMath - 2nd Grade




This month, we've been taking a new Math Program for a test drive in our family. Before we dove in, I was scrolling through the Touch Math  2nd Grade program and was immediately impressed with what I saw. I could not wait to try this out!



What caught my eye up front was the thinking skills that this program helps to develop. I've said many times that Math is not a subject that my kids sail through without much effort. We've had to slow down and take some time to revisit different points of it, and we are making good progress. But what I really want for the girls is not just a memorization of the facts necessarily, but for them to understand the process, the reasons behind it all. Touch Math really offers a solution to this problem. Let me take you through the program and hopefully, you'll see what I mean.


We received a 4 unit, downloadable Math program. Each unit focuses on a different goal.

Unit A: Adding and Subtracting Within 50

Unit B: Adding and Subtracting Within 100

Unit C: Adding and Subtracting Within 1000

Unit D: Time, Money, Measurement, Data, and Geometry


The units begin with the Module Overview. This includes well, the overview, Common Core State Standards, Objectives, Prerequisites, Vocabulary, and Materials you'll need. Very helpful, I think. There are also quite a few worksheets with each unit, and each one has "Instructional Strategies" to help you present the material. This is done through questions, comparisons, skip counting, etc.. Then at the end, there  are questions to ask to make sure your child understands what she just did.
And a word about the worksheets, they are coded on the upper left with either an apple- which signals that you will help your child through it as needed, or with a pencil- which means your child should be able to work independently.

The suggested time frame for working on this is 2.5 times the age of your child. We found ourselves in this general area, maybe slightly more. The material was challenging for my girls, but in a positive way. They don't really love to have to think too much about Math, and they often get frustrated when they are first presented with a new concept. Once it is explained to them however, the light bulb goes on, and they usually proceed happily.
And this is what I like so much about it. They are thinking!

The lessons conclude with an assessment chart to track the student's progress. I am finding it fairly easy to work with.
My girls have never had a problem using worksheets though, so that is something to keep in mind about this if you have children who don't. There are a LOT of worksheets.
Fortunately, this is a program that caters to all of the learning styles. So if whether you have a visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learner, this could be the curriculum for you.

Which brings me to the second part of TouchMath , the manipulatives. You could do the program without these, but then would be missing out on an important part of the lessons. Especially if you have a more kinesthetic learner.

We received a big box of manipulatives to go along with our downloadable program. Oh, did the girls' eyes light up at the sight of that box!

First are the TouchNumerals. These are so much fun to work with! (I almost said play with, and I guess that's true too ;)) These large foam numerals also come with foam dots to place on each of the numeral's touchpoint. They can be used for addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, greater than/less than. I love that these can be used over so many lessons. They are by far, the most popular manipulative with my daughters.




 Next up, the Flip Cards. There are a LOT of cards! These have activities for adding and subtracting, greater than and less than, money, multiplication, measurement, shapes. . .trust me, you will have plenty to do using these. Now where to store them all. . .



The Math Fans are really fun to handle. This is almost a program in and of itself, and comes with a CD of lessons and activities. These will help with counting, one to one correspondence, place value, fractions, and lots more. My girls love using these, and we'll be using them for many lessons to come with all of their applications.


The TouchPoint Posters are inviting and colorful. Great for those tactile learners, these teach children to touch and count each number in a specific motion. It takes a little time to get used to it ( it did for us anyway). Each numeral has a certain number of touchpoints.


The TouchPoint Tutor 2nd Grade software gives your student  online practice and activities. It gives tests, and you can work in any order, making it flexible that way. My girls love to work on the computer, and this is a nice break from worksheets on occasion.

The Skip Counting Poster and CD set made me so very happy! The girls have had some trouble skip counting in the in between numbers - 6's, 7's, 8's. . . and this is just what we needed.
I haven't yet, but I will be laminating these before they get all bent up.




The Desktop TouchLines just provide an individual reference for the touchpoints. They come in a pack of 24 perforated strips for easy separation.


Last but not least, the Student Number Cards. These are also perforated for easy separation, and are great for extra practice.



This has been a very beneficial program for our family, and I would encourage you to check them out.

TouchMath

2nd Grade Program

Price: Each unit is $59.95, or you can buy all 4 for $199.95

Manipulatives:

Flip Cards -$ 19.00/set

Math Fans - $239.00

Touch Point Posters - $43.00

TouchMath Tutor 2nd Grade Software -$99.00 - year license

Skip Counting Poster and CD set- Primary - $79.00

Desktop TouchLines -$19.00

Student Number Cards $24.00 - set of 10
 

Our Crew members reviewed several different grades of this Math program, so. . .
Click to read more reviews from the Schoolhouse Review Crew



1 comment:

  1. I am aghast at the price of the manipulatives. I LOVE math, though, so I can POSSIBLY part with the money for the lessons--if I start saving NOW for next year. I have an 18 year old that is exceedingly low-functioning, and perhaps he would "get" this. The rest of my kids wouldn't necessarily NEED it, but would enjoy it, but are too advanced in math for it. Perhaps buying it with the first child would have been more cost effective. I have a 7 year old that is non-verbal, and I printed off a free image of the poster. I think a person could make the foam numbers easily, and possibly the fans, if they felt they were "worthy". I really get frustrated when things cost so much--most homeschoolers live on one income, and in our area none of them have great incomes at all.

    I see this as very cost-effective for a government school--they would get years of use if handled carefully.

    Thanks for your honest and very complete review! Off to figure out how to do this cheaper! LOL!

    ReplyDelete