Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Monday, January 10, 2011

A Traditional Approach

Happy New Year everyone! I hope and pray that this year will find you growing more and more in God's grace. I know that I sure need an abundance of that!

Alright then, this week's blog topic is the homeschooling calendar year. How would you describe your family's school year? I'm really just a newbie to this whole process, having only 2 years of homeschooling under my belt. Even so, I find myself frequently adjusting and tweaking here and there, our curriculum, our schedule, our general focus.

I suppose that is probably true of most, or at least many other families as well. It's one of the greatest aspects of this privilege of homeschooling, I think.

For the most part though, I would say that our family tends to follow a traditional school year calendar. We've settled on that for a few reasons. Number one, it works the best with all of our extracurricular activities. When Awana, and dance lessons, and bible studies, and everything else is not in session due to the holidays and other days off, then we feel the full benefits of that break. It just helps us to really take a rest from all of it for that time.

Reason number two- our children have many friends who attend the public schools, and it's nice to have coordinating schedules that allow for a variety of playdates and activities.

Number three- I am one of those people who needs routine and structure. I like feeling that I'm on the same basic schedule as the general public.

It's also helpful for us in planning those summer vacations and reunions with relatives. I like knowing that I won't be needing to bring along the lessons, or shift things around. This summer, for example, our niece will be spending about a week with us (she lives in another state). The timing of the end of the school year- both for her and for us- is perfect.

Having said all of that however, I will be changing the schedule just a bit for next year- God willing. I would like to begin school in early August as opposed to after labor day. I hope to do this and then take a more extended break over Christmas.

But, that is the wonderful thing about homeschooling. We can arrange our days and the school year to suit the needs of our family.

So, whatever your style, I pray that 2011 is the best year ever for you and your family. Enjoy it all, because it goes by so fast!




1 comment:

  1. We loosely follow the public school calendar. Our summers are more relaxed, but my kids crave information. I keep them doing online things and some "fun" studying during public school recesses.

    I’ve nominated your blog for the Stylish Blogger Award. You can pick your award up here:

    http://homeschoolblogger.com/brindamorr/?p=1018

    ReplyDelete