Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Techie Homeschool Mom - A Crew Review





Every once in a while, I think about the pioneers of homeschooling that paved the way for this education choice. They didn't have it as easy as we do in this day. There were not the abundant resources, conferences, and general support that is pretty much everywhere now. In fact, in many areas, home educating wasn't even legal. I am so grateful for those first parents' determination to make homeschooling a viable option. Over the past 30 years, we homeschoolers have come a long way. With all of the technology that we have at our fingertips, it only stands to reason that online courses would become the norm. It's easy to see why digital curriculum would be appealing. This choice means no shipping costs, and virtually no wait time to get started. I know that I appreciate the convenience, and I have and still do purchase quite a bit of online and downloadable material. So, when I had the opportunity to review the Ancient Egypt Online Unit Study from Techie Homeschool Mom , I was interested to see what it would be all about.

Beth Napoli is the name and creator behind Techie Homeschool Mom . A self described "Geeky homeschool mom", she began researching the best online resources for her children. She found that she enjoyed the discovery so much, she needed to share her finds with her friends, who greatly appreciated the efforts. Voila! A business was born, and not just a business, but a chance to provide anyone and everyone with an education in the latest technology. 

Depending on your style, you may love online classes, or really dislike them. Some folks like the community experience, while some prefer a more relaxed, go at your own pace approach. My little crew prefers the go at our pace route, which meshes perfectly with this study of Ancient Egypt. There is no pressure to attend at a certain time, or on a certain day. You choose your schedule. The course is broken up into bite sized sections. There are short videos, book suggestions, websites that provide deeper research, and a variety of crafts and activities to complete. A Final Project on a topic from a list of choices can be completed to wrap up the Unit Study.

You will be taken through 10 sections before that final project:

- Before you start 

- Egyptian Civilization 

- Hieroglyphics

- Rosetta Stone

- Egyptian Daily Life

- Inventions and  Technology of Ancient Egypt

- Ancient Egyptian Clothing

- Famous Egyptians

- Pyramids

- Mummies

- Final Project










I really liked the convenience of this course. Not only could I choose our own pace, but the online aspect made it possible to take this on the go. I could have my daughters watch some of the readily available videos as we commuted here and there. There are some interesting activities to engage in also. We particularly enjoyed looking up and researching Hieroglyphics, studying that alphabet a bit, and then creating a Cartouche. The pyramids and mummies have been of interest to my daughters too, with the latter being an absolute favorite of my 15 year old.











The challenge of this course was the necessity of having to sign up for Canva and Curiosity to do certain projects, and view certain videos. I understand and appreciate that a part of this study is to provide access to various technology. However, I don't like or want to sign up for all kinds of extra services necessarily. With the exception of picking up a book or two, or gathering materials for a craft project, I prefer a curriculum to have all I need within it, without asking me to join sites that I am not familiar with. I also don't want my daughters wandering all over the Internet searching sites that I have no familiarity with. But others may have a different view. To each his own. 

I decided to use this as an extra supplement since I didn't want to sign up for extras or trial runs. We enjoyed the videos and information we read. Grabbing some books was no problem for my book lovers either. Overall, I did enjoy the study. The format allows much freedom and opportunity for extra study. There should be something for most any homeschooling family to aid in their studies. Click on the links for more information.







Find Techie Homeschool Mom on social media:

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

YouTube

Instagram



Read about other topics that our Crew members reviewed, by clicking the banner below!


Solar, Ancients and Famous People Unit Studies {Techie Homeschool Mom Reviews}




No comments:

Post a Comment