Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Heirloom Audio - St. Bartholomew's Eve - A Crew Review




I have said it many times, but I'm saying it again, I love a good story. One of the greatest simple pleasures in my world, is to get lost in a tale. Books, movies, oh yes, they are all wonderful, but there is something special about a well done audio story. Without the visual piece included, my imagination has free reign, and my mind's eye creates its own picture of the characters and settings. When the story being told is one that recounts the history of Christian heroes of the faith, it's a winning combination for me. Heirloom Audio graciously provided me with a copy of one their audio adventures, St. Bartholomew's Eve, to review, and it is a perfect example of the fantastic tales that I adore. As the text printed on this story's CD reads, they help listeners to "Live the Adventure!"

Heirloom Audio is a company whose goal is to share Christian history to the next generation, and if I may say, they are doing a fantastic job! Maybe you have heard the complaints, in fact, I have often lamented the fact, that so many "Christian" productions can come across as trite. The characters are not well developed, the script predictable. As Christians, we have the greatest story ever told to share, so how can our presentation be so...boring? These stories, "The Extraordinary Adventures of G.A. Henty", are the complete opposite. With a full cast of well known actors, impressive sound effects, and a great (true) story, this drama will have listeners from ages six to adult leaning forward in their seats for the over two hours that this tale plays.






Brian Blessed brings his wonderfully booming, rich, voice back as G.A. Henty. Once again, the story opens with him narrating this harrowing tale of the Huguenots wars with the Roman Catholics. Philip Fletcher joins with his cousin Francois, forging a close friendship comparable to (as they say in the story) Bible heroes, David and Jonathon. They feel compelled to battle for the freedom to worship their God freely, and determine that the French government, and their edict to refrain, is nothing compared to their desire to obey the Lord. They quickly realize that they may need to give up their very lives in order to carry out their convictions. 

There are many things that I love about this latest G.A. Henty Adventure. In our day of political correctness, and the revision of many historical events, this is a story that stays true to real events. Yes, that means that parts of the drama lean towards the graphic side, so parents, you will need to determine what your children can handle. I will say, the details are never gratuitous or gory, simply true. This story will appeal to most everyone, whether young or old. I'm so grateful that with all of the unsavory entertainment that surrounds us, Heirloom Audio is dedicated to providing excellent alternatives with edifying content that affirm our faith. I'm not sure how many people are familiar with the  history of St. Bartholomew's Eve, and what the French Christians had to go through. I confess that my own knowledge was definitely lacking. Although this is a drama, and not the actual event, it was still  a poignant moment to hear the point in the story where the people are hiding together, and the child begins singing, "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God". 

Fortunately for me, my daughters are just as enthusiastic about audio dramas as I am, so there was no arm twisting necessary in getting them to listen with me. Our extracurricular activities require us to spend a great deal of time driving, so what a perfect opportunity to squeeze in a good story? My oldest, who is fourteen years old, can be a little particular with her book preferences, but I had nothing to worry about with this story. She was fully engaged. We all enjoyed the subtle humor that was found here and there. For instance, at one point, Philip sees the need to take a moment with his fellows and pray to God for help. As he is earnestly praying, Francois quips in a funny, but somewhat concerned tone, "Umm, they're almost upon us...".

We all love this latest addition to the G.A. Henty adventures. My daughters (and I) love that there is a full cast of talented characters. The sound effects are what stand out to my thirteen year old. She appreciates that even the smallest of details, like the sound of footsteps on a street, are included. It is simply very well done. Also not to be missed is their website, which features posts relevant to their dramas, information on current projects, and behind the scene information. This is a company that you will want to become acquainted with. With the holiday season soon upon us, these audio dramas would make the perfect gift! 







Find Heirloom Audio on social media:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Instagram - @HeirloomAudioOfficial
Read more Crew reviews about St. Bartholomew's Eve from Heirloom Audio by clicking the banner below!
St. Bartholomew's Eve {Heirloom Audio Reviews}

No comments:

Post a Comment