Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Monday, December 3, 2018

Beloved - 365 Devotions For Young Women - A Review

I often find it hard to believe that my daughters are old enough to use a devotional for teens. That old adage, "The days are long, but the years are short", is cliché, but spot on. People often lament the teen years, particularly when they speak of teenaged girls. I'm surprised, and annoyed if the truth be told, how many times older folks have seen me with my daughters, and said, "Oh, I remember that stage, I feel sorry for you." What?! Do not feel sorry for me! I love my girls, and in reality, there is a freedom that comes when your kids reach the teen years, and they are capable of much more independence. Of course, there are trials, and challenges. Bigger kids, bigger problems. However, I have a front row seat to the blooming of my daughters' personalities. I have the privilege of hearing their thoughts on many issues, and the enthusiasm and joy that accompanies youth.

As my daughters navigate these years, I often find myself engaged in conversations with them about various issues that they need guidance to handle. Every time, I point them to the Lord, and to the Scriptures, because I want them to learn to depend on Him first and foremost. To that end, I was pleased to receive a free copy of Beloved - 365 Devotions For Young Women to review, with no additional compensation. It's a lovely resource, and I'm happy to share it with you.



Simply put, this is a beautiful devotional. It is a hardcover book, with a pretty, glossy, floral design, in shades of a blush sort of pink, with splashes of a darker pink, gold, and green. Each devotion is set up as Day 1, Day 2, and so on, rather than actual dates. I like this method, because it allows you to begin the book any day of the year, and you won't have to possibly start at the end of the book.




The devotions are simple, and easy to follow. A Bible verse that sets the theme for the reading is at the top, followed by a short paragraph that expounds on the lesson. Four lines are available at the bottom that allow for notes, prayers, or general thoughts. Young women will read about the highs and lows of various girls and women from the Bible. They will read about Biblical ways to handle relationships, identity, loneliness, grief, beauty, and compassion.






How you decide to utilize this devotion is up to you. You might give this to your daughter and let her use it for her personal quiet time. As for my family, we have been using this as an opening for our daily Bible studies. One of my girls will read the verse, then one of us reads the devotion, and we discuss the theme. Eventually I will just have them use it on their own, as they learn to organize a quiet time on their own, but for now, it's a sweet time. I love to hear their thoughts on various issues of the day.

The Christmas season is upon us, and this would make a meaningful, and beautiful gift for the young  woman in your life. I hope that you will take the time and take a look at Beloved - 365 Devotions For Young Women today.

No comments:

Post a Comment