Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Sunday, October 6, 2019

Home is the Best Place





I knew that I wanted to homeschool my daughters from the time they were barely toddlers. I had a great childhood, but as I made my way through elementary, and into high school, I had a horrible time. I was a good student, but my grades suffered in some subjects because I was more concerned about the kids bullying me, than I was about learning the school work.

My experiences, coupled with the growing popularity and acceptance of homeschooling, lead us to the decision to homeschool. My husband and I agreed that we wanted our kids to have the protection of our home environment while being educated. I am under no illusion that I can protect my girls from every harm, but I wanted them to be taught how to stand up for their principles while having a safe environment to focus on their studies.

I have no regrets over a decade into our homeschooling beginning. My daughters are doing well in their subjects, but more importantly, they have had the opportunity to figure out what they like and don't like, without the pressure to conform to the latest fads, and without the mean girls influence. In fact, my daughters marvel at the shallowness and the nasty behavior between most of the neighborhood kids. They see how the group think mentality has affected them, and they are grateful for the freedom they feel not to conform as we homeschool. I know that not all public schooled kids are like this, just as not all homeschooled kids are wonderful. Still, our overwhelming experience has been consistently like my above examples.

How has homeschooling been a benefit to your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment