Deuteronomy 6:6-7

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7


Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Other Bodies, by Joel Ohman- A Review



I had the opportunity to read and review the book, Other Bodies, by Joel Ohman. Upon closing the book after reading, it took me awhile to decide how I felt. Captivated, most definitely. At 252 pages, this is no short story, and yet I seemed to fly through the pages. The first page threw me into the fray of the story, and I like when that happens. My attention captured, as I begin piecing the bits and pieces together, attempting to complete the picture.

Hattie is a young woman, on her own after the death of her beloved grandfather. The setting is some dystopian time in future Philadelphia. Struggling to keep a roof over her head, she is happy to have secured a new job. That job happens to be at the local abortion clinic, Managed Motherhood. 

Hattie quickly gains the sympathy of her supervisor, and begins to orient herself to the company. The story takes a turn when Hattie discovers that she is pregnant. Having always considered herself a sort of feminist, she is a little confused to find herself questioning all of the rhetoric that she had previously embraced. What if the protesters that kept vigil outside of the clinic, were right? What if the body inside her body, was not her body? 

This book is part of the Metropolis series, and it will have you gripping the chair that you're in, from page 1 to page 252. Without question, and without apology, you will be faced with the realities of abortion. Prepare to be challenged, and even heartbroken. 

With a heavy topic, this is not a light read, and parents should consider the age and maturity of their kids before they read it. Having said that, I will let my daughters read it when I think they can emotionally handle it. It is a good story, and necessary to get out to the current and next generation. I am grateful for the bravery of the author in taking on this subject. Are we speaking out for the lives for the unborn? Are we teaching our kids to do the same? 


Some links where you can find more information:




Buy the book! https://amzn.to/2Lmnwbc



“Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255:  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”):  Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway.  Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation.  I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.


No comments:

Post a Comment